The Virtual NIN
NIMC’s MWS Mobile ID app also comes with a NIN Tokenization feature which provides the user with a Virtual NIN.
This Virtual NIN is a tokenized version of the person’s actual NIN, that is, a coded representation (“disguised”) version of the NIN which another party verifying the number cannot retain and use in a way that puts the individual’s data privacy at risk.
You can use the Virtual NIN when digitally verifying your identity with a verifying agent or enterprise who needs to confirm your identity before offering you a service (banks, airports, shopping delivery and so on).
How It Works
- Launch the MWS Mobile ID app installed on your device (Android or iOS). Make sure you have the current version of the app installed or updated on your mobile device.
- Enter your PIN on the lock screen to continue.
- Select the “GET VIRTUAL NIN” button on the “Home” screen.
- Read through the “Enhanced Data Privacy” text.
- Then click on the button with the “+” sign on the bottom right corner of the screen to start the process of generating a Virtual NIN for the verifying Enterprise you are dealing with.
- Tap on any of the available options to either scan the Enterprise’s QR code or type in the Enterprise’s ID.
- A Virtual NIN is generated for you to use specifically with that verifying Enterprise alone.
- Present the Virtual NIN to the Enterprise for verification.
- Receive a notification once verification is completed by the Enterprise.
- Data privacy protection – access to an individual’s NIN by others is further restricted.
- Generated token is encrypted and totally opaque with no correlation to the NIN.
- The NIN holder is the only exclusive issuer.
- Generated tokens expire after a set period of time.
- Virtual NIN tokens generated are merchant-specific, a token generated for company A cannot be used or verified by company B.